The Drummer Boy of Shiloh by Ray Bradbury is about Joby, the young
drummer boy in the Battle of Shiloh. It's about how Joby finds the
confidence to go on. It takes place on the night before the battle, on a
spring night, amidst blossoming peach trees.
I thought that the setting was very important in this story, for it carried the theme.
The story takes place on a Spring night(as the story says: "In the
April night..."). I think this represents peace, for I find Spring
nights very peaceful. For though Spring days are lively, I think Spring
nights are quiet as though all the new life of Spring is at peace, at
rest before another lively morning/day. Spring nights (and mostly Spring
itself) are not too cold, nor too hot. In many ways, Spring is much
like Autumn. This is in contrast to the panic and unrest taking place
within the minds of the soldiers (as the story says: "nervous
expectation and unable to sleep for romantic dreams of battles yet
unfought..."). To me, this makes the lack of peace more evident in the
story, for despite the peaceful environment/surroundings, the soldiers
are still unable to rest peacefully.
I also thought
that the peach blossoms played a significant role in representing the
theme of the story as well. When I imagine peach blossoms, I think of
innocence and youth, how the blossom is not yet a peach, not yet ready
to be picked. This represents the state of the majority of the soldiers
in the story. For they are innocent because of their youth and
inexperience to battle. I think that the soldiers' innocence is good and
bad. Good because the soldiers are not yet scarred from the horrors of
war, but bad because that would mean they don't know what's ahead of
them, and therefore will not be prepared. They are inexperienced as the
story says: "It's going to be a crazy time said the general...we should
all turn tail and train four months..."
I think that the
peach blossoms also represent Joby. A peach blossom is the state of a
peach before it actually becomes a peach. And in the story, Joby is in
the state of a boy before he becomes a man/soldier. In the story he
finds his confidence to become a true soldier. The peach blossoms
represent Joby because in the beginning he is a young,
confidence-lacking boy, and throughout the story, "blossoms" into a
confident man/soldier.
Overall, I think the setting of a
story is always important. For it usually has to have a significance in
order for the story to take place there. It may be the cause of (or
related) to the problem(s). Or it may(like this one) represent the theme
and characters themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment