Thursday, March 21, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird 2

Is Love the Truly the Most Powerful?



I have finally continued reading To Kill A Mockingbird (as I was previously finishing Yeh Yeh's House) by Harper Lee. The problem is beginning to surface as the problem is worsening in the story. Scout's and Jem's father, Atticus, is taking a case (as he is a lawyer) involving Tom Robinson (an African American man) being his client as well as the person who is being charged. Since Scout and her family live in a Southern Alabama town at the time of extreme racism against African Americans, they are facing much criticism from the townspeople and even their relatives, as Atticus is helping a black man. Scout and Jem find it hard to control their rage when people talk badly about their father, but Atticus tells them to let it go as he knows that it will only get worse so getting angry and violent will not help. This is all I have read so far.

I found it strange how most of the people Atticus, Scout, and Jem knew as friends and family, turned against them because Atticus was defending a black man. Does the answer of whether or not someone should be helped depend on the person's colour rather than our own moral values? Apparently, at that time, the answer was yes. It was both saddening and enraging how Scout's relatives said Atticus ruined their family by helping a black man; this is not how people should speak about a family member in times of trouble! Shouldn't Scout's relatives, rather than criticize Atticus, encourage him that these harsh times will pass? What is the point of "family" when you can't even count on them to support you and encourage you to stay determined in times of physical/mental need?

Hate is just as, or perhaps more powerful, than love. Scout's relatives hate for African Americans ruined their love for her, Jem, and Atticus. I did not think this at first as I challenged myself with examples where love is greater than hate, for example, Romeo and Juliet. Their love ended their families' hate for each other. However, when I thought about it further, I realized that's not true (that love is more powerful), since hate was the reason why Romeo and Juliet died in the first place. I am still trying to prove my conclusion wrong, as the world would be such a dark and sad place if hate was the strongest power of all. 

Love may be strong, but, though I hope not, perhaps hate is stronger.


No comments:

Post a Comment