Thursday, March 28, 2013

BBC News' Who, What, Why: What is 'ungoogleable'? Non-Fiction Blog Post

This article talks about "ungoogleability", why some people would or would not want to be "ungoogleable", and whether or not one can actually be completely "ungoogleable". The author wants me to know why some people would want to be "ungoogleable" or why others would not. As the author says: " To be ungoogleable might be a blessing or a curse." The author explains this by including examples of how some companies may want to be known on Google so customers may find them easily, while someone may want to be invisible on Google so his/her past will not affect his/her future (his/her past won't be available for the world to see). "Ungoogleability" means more privacy. The author explains that many things can be found on Google nowadays, and though some may be harder to find than others, with more thinking and time, one would most likely still find the answer, as said in the article: "...even supposedly ungoogleable things can usually be found. Most people use Google in haste. But a bit of thinking can often turn up the correct result."

The author wants me to feel/understand each of the situations (wanting to be ungoogleable and not wanting to be ungoogleable). He/she does so by adding details into his/her examples so the reader fully understands each problem. He/she also adds phrases such as "shooting itself in the foot" to give readers an even better understanding by relating to such well-known phrases. He/she also wants readers to understand  how "powerful" Google is, and how hard it is to truly stay invisible to Google. He/she makes readers believe Google is powerful and hard to stay invisible to, by adding personification. For example, the author says: "Trying to outwit Google's search capability has been popular for a while." By using the term "outwit" it implies that Google can think, and thinking is a very human action, an action that can usually only be performed by a living thing.   

I personally would want to be considerably ungoogleable. Perhaps not completely invisible, but as of right now, I wouldn't want the world to know who I am. I would become extremely annoyed if people could know about me without my permission as one would if he/she had information posted on the internet. It makes me feel that my identity is not in my hands. If I had a company though, I would not want to be invisible on Google at all. I think the author did well with helping me understand each situation and I agree with each situation as to why in some cases it's best to be ungoogleable and not ungoogleable in others. I do wonder though, is it possible to stay ungoogleable throughout one's life, or is "ungoogleable" simply a wish that will always be out of reach?

No comments:

Post a Comment