Thursday, April 4, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird 3

Aren't We All Under The Same Sky? 



So far, in To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Atticus has left for a short while so Scout and Jem are under the supervision of Calpurnia, their cook/servant. One Sunday, Calpurnia decides to take them to her church, an African American church called First Purchase. There, most people respect them, except they encounter an African-American woman who declares that white people do not belong at an African-American church. Finally, after things settle down and church ends, Scout and Jem find out that Atticus' case is that his client (an African-American man) is being charged with rape, yet quite possibly is not actually guilty. 

In the argument between Calpurnia and the woman (Lulu) at church, a particular part of the dialogue stood out to me. After Lulu said: "...they got their church, we got our'n. It is our church, ain't it, Miss Cal?" Calpurnia replied by saying: "It's the same God, ain't it?" At this, I paused, for it sounded like such a strong sentence, as though a piece of moral values and truth was placed in the dialogue. I thought that what Calpurnia said was very true, even though I am not religious and therefore do not truly believe in God. Perhaps it is not so much to do with God as I thought that it had to do with us being the same. We all share something in common with everyone else. We are all of the same species, the same structure, and we all abide by the laws of life and nature. These laws, I believe, is that we all follow the same sequence of nature, we grow and we die. No specific type of race has a natural advantage over others, their is no race that lives particularly longer or are extremely smart or powerful. Even though our background and places of origin are different and may affect us, we are still quite alike. Are we not all living under the same sky? Do we not all eat and breathe and think? Who has the right to say one does not belong in a public place? No one should have such a right, regardless of race or colour.

It is tragic though, for no one is completely free of prejudice (at least I think). Do we really look/judge solely with our hearts and not with our eyes? I don't believe so, for looking with the heart usually only supports or balances our judgment of appearance, it does not provide the whole opinion. I usually don't believe those who say they have no prejudice, I think that they are either lying , or they are one of those people who are able to bring forth their heart's judgment before their eyes', or at least use inner judgment more than the judgment of appearance.

When will we rid ourselves of prejudice? But then again, is it completely necessary? Is it good enough to balance our eyes' judgment with our heart's? I'm not sure, but perhaps it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment