Repetitive Themes
I am reading Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare. This is the sequel to Clockwork Angel, and they are part of The Infernal Devices series. In the first book, a girl named Tessa Gray was pulled into the world of demons, vampires, werewolves, and Nephilim Shadowhunters (angel and human "hybrids" who kill the demons). She met Will and Jem (both Shadowhunters and the story continued with mixed feelings, love, fighting, and shock of who the real enemy was. A love triangle developed and everyone felt, and in this book, still feels confused. So the sequel so far has only continued to talk about the obvious issues and the complicated relationship between Tessa, Will, and Jem. This is all I have read so far; this will be a short post since I haven't read much and don't really want to continue reading.
Although I enjoyed Clockwork Angel, I am thinking that perhaps I will abandon Clockwork Prince. I think it is because the themes and characters of the story are too similar to the styles of other books that are highly popular. It is a repetitive plot and highly predictable. I don't particularly like the theme of vampires and demons of the like, nor do I tend to like books about half-angels. This isn't because I don't like the subjects themselves but more because I think such themes have been appearing constantly in books, perhaps too frequently. But, despite this, I could tolerate (and even liked) the first book of the series as the themes did not revolve around the typical themes as it does now in the second book. Such themes include a love triangle and a character not wanting to hurt the other but in the end quite possibly will. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think I can guess who Tessa will end up being with at the end of the series.
It amazes me how repetitive particular themes have been in books right now. Is it the popularity of these themes that are driving authors to to write so frequently about them? Don't readers tire from the constant repetition of subjects and plots? I wonder what makes a theme suddenly popular, when it wasn't popular before? Does it only take one author and one best-selling book to create such a trend of themes in books?
Perhaps I will continue reading the book to see if it really is as predictable as I assumed (because I may be wrong if I finish the entire series and the ending proves to be different than my predictions), or perhaps I might just return it and start another book.
No comments:
Post a Comment